Tuesday 26 July 2022

Signing off

I’ve noticed a trend recently for customer services personnel to end their messages with ridiculous and inappropriate valedictions.  I sent about 10 emails recently when an online order went horribly wrong. Despite failing to understand my frustration or resolve the problem, the customer service people, a different one each time of course which meant I had to keep explaining what was wrong, felt it necessary to finish their message so annoyingly.   Here are some examples

Please do stay safe and have a wonderful day

Stay safe in these trying times

Stay safe and have a lovely day further

Stay safe stay amazing 

I found the inane familiarity irritating particularly when the operators never bothered to resolve the problem and were in fact responsible for me becoming cross, unstable and therefore completely unsafe.  And stay amazing, what’s that about, how dare they assume that I am amazing when I’m actually fuming.

MrFF recently had a debacle with our uk power supplier, the man signed off each time Love and Power, Steve.  Did he mean by power the gas and electricity we were being overcharged for or was he just wishing MrFF the strength to deal with the situation.

Whichever PR twit came up with this idea needs to know that customers would be happier with better service and the ability to deal with one people who is accountable when a problem arises, who sees it through till the customer is happy, sends emails that can be replied to and doesn’t just provide an inappropriate reply from the script or sign off in such an insincere way.  


4 comments:

  1. Oh, from your title I thought you were closing your blog down same as someone else did recently…..by using those very words.
    Gosh you’ve had a trying time recently what with the water problem plus the wildlife without the stress of dealing with unthinking staff while trying to fix problems from afar. I’m thinking of stopping using my usual ‘Take care’ ending to comments - someone got quite testy and emailed to ask ‘from what’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I have come across this but if I did I would be irritated - how silly. What annoys me round here - and perhaps it is the same everywhere - if I tell a story any mishap of any kind the standard answer is always the same - "Bless"

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of those customer service reps seem to be reading from a set script and don't seem to be able to deviate from it to actually help the customer. Here the problem is often understanding the language spoken.
    Chris (still can't sign in as myself)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are rather irritating aren't they?

    ReplyDelete