Thursday 18 March 2021

Four legged friends

My usual post breakfast walk round the policies this morning revealed a scene of devastation.  

From a distance I could see the vegetable plot was completely churned up, on closer inspection I realised it was horses.  Why they would want to climb the little wall and wander about in bare soil I have no idea.  Fortunately they hadn’t trodden on the broad beans that are just coming through or eaten the ones planted last year that are flowering.

As usual they left plenty of manure, I didn’t photograph that, so I wasn’t too cross until I went round to the wild garden I have started.  Plants pulled out of the ground or trodden down and destroyed, more manure.  I’ve had a go at sorting it out, the plants I’ve lost were just cuttings and divisions that I hoped would add a little interest in the orchard but I’m still cross.

At the side of our orchard between our land and the neighbours fence is a watercourse that hardly ever runs but the land belongs to the comune and has to be left open.  I’ve planted a few iris along the sides of the dry stream.  At the top where the water flows under the road we have netting that can easily be opened if anyone wants access, a lady with her dog walked down the other day giving me a wave and leaving everything as she found it.  At the bottom there is no barrier to the olive groves below us and that is how the horses get in, sneakily they come at night.  Mr FF is going to find netting for that opening before the tomato season starts.  

5 comments:

  1. Ha, we get badgers, foxes and the occasional wild boars but I've never had my garden wrecked by horses. Just as well the veggie plot isn't well and truly planted yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO annoying when you've done all that work.
    We arrived chez nous after a short spell in the UK one summer to find all of our roses, which were in full bloom and a glorious sight when we left, nibbled down to bare stalks. All of them, including the climbing ones. The culprit was a young deer that had trampled down the wire fence at the back to get at them. Our spy camera revealed that it took just three days for it to eat the whole lot! It didn't eat any of the veg, not even a lettuce leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt this would happen in Ilkley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! This made me chuckle. I used to live in Addingham, near Ilkley and the most exciting thing we had in our garden was a mole.

      Delete
  4. That's rather annoying, but on the positive, you can put the manure on your compost heap! I'm sure Mr FF will rise to the challenge of shutting them out. x

    ReplyDelete