Thursday 1 December 2016

A full body service

I feel like some old car that's had an MOT and needs patching up at the garage. In the two weeks since I got back from Italy I've had my hair cut and my eyebrows tinted, they'd practically disappeared as many are white and the sun bleached the rest to oblivion.   My hair is still fairly dark with some white so I seem to get away with darkish eyebrows and I do like not having to pencil them in every day, when I remember.
I've made an appointment for my three yearly breast scan, I missed my turn whilst I was away and been to the doctors about the dizzy spells I've experienced recently.   My doctor thinks they are probably a type of migraine.  I suffered with debilitating migraines when I was working and thought they'd stopped, it seems they just take a different and when they happen rather scary form. We are monitoring the situation but at least I feel reassured that I probably don't have some life threatening condition.  
Most dramatic of all I've been to the dentist and had two adjacent crowned teeth taken out in preparation for dental implants.  I won't go into the graphic details but getting one of them out was traumatic.  My dentist was friendly and gentle, he almost moved me to tears with his kindness though I admit I was feeling vulnerable and emotional at the time.  Now I have to wait six weeks for healing to take place before the next of seven appointments.   I am still in a little pain on the third day, hating having to rinse my mouth frequently with salt water and hoping it's all going to be worthwhile and a good use of my savings. At 68 I don't want a mouth full of brilliant white and perfect teeth but I do want to laugh without displaying gaps.

So that's a lot of interventions in two weeks, I would say I shall take it easy now but there is of course the dreaded Christmas.  I've decided not to make a cake this year as we had half of last years still on the go beyond Easter.  As usual I have no idea what we shall eat on the 25 but at least I shall be going into the festive season pretty sure that I'm in good working order and that I should keep motoring along for another year or so.

6 comments:

  1. I'm at the stage where I think I'm doing okay and then something else drops off! One of my teeth cracked 'spectacularly' (dentist's adjective) so I've gone down the implant route,too, even though it's at the back of my gob. It's a long, expensive process but I don't really fancy being a toothless hag. Well, not just yet. You and your mister will still do a Christmas present swap, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall be interested in how your implant goes - I would like implants, but I am a terrible coward about all things dental.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What we all have to do to remain 'beautiful' the older we get!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness me! I think you deserve a holiday after that little lot! Ros x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey, that's quite a list ticked off. I think a glass of bubbly is needed to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oldest friend who I've known for over 30 years came to visit over the weekend she's 53 so a few years younger than me and is always talking about going over to America to buy herself a mouthful of pearly white teeth god I can't think of anything worse. Thankfully I have been fortunate with my teeth I have two small fillings back when I was younger but no crowns or other bits and pieces and I'm quite happy with how they look. Now eyebrow tinting is something I've been considering as I have quite a bit of white in mine and have to keep shading them in. Christmas cake or any kind of fruit cake doesn't last long in our house lovejoy demolishes it lol.

    ReplyDelete