Thursday 1 October 2009

A day in town

In Edinburgh on Tuesday for a haircut and then to meet up with Joanne, Amanda and Stewart the adorable new born for lunch. Such a sweet little dot he is, Amanda is glowing with happiness, it was a delight to see them all and the jumper was well received. We had so much to say that the waitress had to ask three times if we were ready to order, we hadn't even looked at the menu just chat chat chat. While I was in town I managed to have a quick look round the local charity shop and found some wool, 200g of 4 ply green superwash pure wool for 50p, a couple of cakes of I don't know what but like the colours, each 100g at 50p each and a ball of pure cotton fancy stuff again 50p. Got to keep the supply stocked up and they will do nicely.
I also called at Homebase and found these in the bargain bucket, how I like a gardening challenge. Three penstemon that had been £4.99 each reduced to 50p, they are all herbaceous so although there won't be any more flowers this year I can plant them in the border and expect a good display for years to come. This one is Melting Candy, it still has a few flowers left so you can see how pretty it will be, I got two of that and one Vanilla Plum purple with the same white marking. Also a tray of 6 white cyclamen that had been £5.99 and was reduced to £1.99. I took off all the dead leaves and flowers, potted the three worst specimens together so they can encourage each other and the three best ones into individual pots. They are all standing outside for now getting used to their new homes and enjoying a bit of autumn sun. International wool and plant rescue, my work is never done.

12 comments:

  1. You can find great bargains at DIY places this time of year can't you? Dead and ugly looking specimens of plants which you can get for a couple of pounds, take home, tidy up and give some tlc and away they will grow for you. The cyclamen especially look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like so much cyclamens.
    Alfazema

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh look at your cyclamens!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends, yarn, flowers... a perfect day--yes! So lovely the flowers... Happy weekend, Jenny :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some excellent bargains there; glad you had such a successful and sociable day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOO I love a bargain. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm! Looks like you had a great day. How satisfying when you find some really good bargains. Have a great weekend. ros

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what I call a good day out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. More wool for the stash and a bargain to boot!

    I love the cyclamens - I went to a garden centre a couple of days ago and the glasshouses had cyclamens laid out as far as the eye could see. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are wonderful and your blog so inspirationsal.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love a good Bargain, and I must keep a lookout for some plants , that's a great idea.
    Mind you, I'm not sure wether it would be kind to them,lol, and
    your day sounded lovely...xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done you. Homebase is really good for bargins isn't it? I snagged a David Austen Winchester Catherdral Rose back in the summer for £4, when it should have been £15. Looked like it had never seen a watering can, but re potted and a little love and it is romping away. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete