Wednesday 19 July 2023

A week in Yorkshire

I continue to be delighted to be back in Yorkshire.  We were told several times before we left Italy that the UK weather would be awful and we would have a miserable summer.  Given the choice of manageable temperatures, a mix of sun and soft refreshing rain or scorching 40 degrees plus and scorched earth I am happy where I am.  We have since we returned had the balcony doors open from early morning until bedtime, we sleep well with our bedrooms windows open under a single linen sheet, I wear my flip flops and cropped trousers or shorts daily, it’s like being on holiday without mosquitoes.


We’ve stocked up with provisions, enjoyed fish and chips and been out for a delicious breakfast.  I’ve had my haircut, been to the dentist, borrowed new books from the library (all visited on foot, the car has been used only once since our return).  I have taken a walk to see my favourite alpaca across the valley and check the progress of some beautiful gardens.  I am loving this green and leafy place.  

It was definitely the right decision to come back, not they we had a choice with the 90 days in 180 stay in the EU (Schengen) rule.  I’ve had a very happy week, ilkley feels like our holiday destination, maybe because there is no ongoing maintenance or home improvement project.  But don’t worry, when we left Italy we discovered a water leak, what changes.  MrFF thinks the improved water pressure might have discovered a weakness that gradually got worse and manifested in the boiler room.  Despite some investigation we didn’t find the fault, it could be in the garden, we turned everything off and left.  Something to do when we go back, for now the holiday continues.  I can thoroughly recommend this destination, the food is great, people are friendly, the accommodation is superb.



6 comments:

  1. I know it must feel luxurious to be back. Enjoy your time there and so sorry about the leak!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful view - definitely in right place just now xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the knitting is on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brexit has robbed us of the ability to come and go as we please, as we always used to, due to the Schengen rules.
    It sounds like you have made the right choice in returning to Yorkshire for the hotter months in Italy and presumably you can go back after another 90 days when the weather there will be less brutal.
    Sorry to hear about your water leak!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont think that i would ever leave Ilkey. Regards. Sally

    ReplyDelete