Thursday 27 July 2023

A timely reminder

I am aware of the problems of fast fashion, cheap buys from the Far East etc, I don’t shop with Amazon for these reasons and also because of the ugly enormous facility they built in the valley below our house in Italy, an out of town building to which all the zero contract minimum wage workers have to travel and not a solar panel in sight on the vast acreage of flat roof.

When we returned from Italy my kitchen clock had stopped working, MrFF said it was finished and I’d need a new one.  That was disappointing as I like the clock very much, so he thought again and said he would try to find a new mechanism for it. However such mechanism was to come from Temu, an online vendor that I believe is in China and gets bad press because it’s suppliers may use child and slave labour, at the prices they definitely aren’t paying them much or investing in their welfare.   However he ordered the product for less than £2 delivered, it seemed from the despatch updates to travel by plane.  It took a while to arrive badly packaged with the plastic wrapping pierced by part of the mechanism but nothing broken.

MrFF had the old mechanism and pointers removed and the new ones installed in a flash, my clock works again and it looks great, I like the new blunt pointers and the addition of a red second hand.  I am delighted and telling myself that a repair is better then the whole clock heading to landfill but I also feel guilty about using such a disreputable company whenever I check the time.





4 comments:

  1. It is a lovely - and cheerful - clock, even on a wet day I would find it cheery to look at! Sadly these days we buy things and have little or no idea where they are made or under what conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, your hubby did a brilliant job, it is sad everything has such huge ramifications, air miles, poor labour conditions, so much is broken in our world and absolutely no way to fix everything. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was worth saving, a lovely cheerful clock! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about disreputable vendors, but sometimes we don't realise until after we've bought something. I've got a bee in my bonnet about fashion crochet at the moment. I'm to be seen looking at the price labels in shops to see if the maker might just have been paid something worthwhile for the hours it took to make!

    ReplyDelete