Tuesday 2 May 2023

My neglected garden


I often wonder about my Italian garden when we are back in Yorkshire and it’s always a pleasant surprise to find how well it copes without me.  Despite cold weather in our absence the majority of my terrace pots, left tucked away in a sheltered spot, are flourishing, the geraniums and dipladenia are the best I’ve seen them at this time of year.  Some years I have to do a complete restock but this year I won’t need to replace any.

The lemons are ripe and already the tree is flowering for the next crop.


The wisteria is as lovely as ever

We are undecided about growing vegetables this year now we can only stay in the EU 90 days.  It’s a pity as we love being self sufficient but if we plant now we wouldn’t get much return before leaving and certainly its not worth irrigating for the 90 days we will be absent, which applies to the pots too.  We have to accept a different way of gardening, obviously not as intense as we’ve experienced so far but considering how well the garden manages without us I feel fairly confident it will be ok.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty garden, cats back 'home' and presumably better weather than here. Lucky you - oh and water situation improved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read some sites blogs etc re motorhomers as we used to have one and travelled a lot and apparently what some people are doing is getting the 6 month French visa and then travelling straight on to Spain for the 6 months maybe you could do similar but go to Italy for the 6 months(don't mean you have to get a motorhome!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden will be a lovely place to relax in, in the coming months, just as it is!

    ReplyDelete