Friday 21 April 2023

At Last

After 9 hours of madness on the autostrada that had my nerves jangling we got to our Italian house at 8 last night.  Grigio was here almost immediately and hasn’t left my side since, she follows me round like a little dog and never stops purring.  Sadly there is no sign of Enrico,  Mario said he hasn’t seen him for maybe a month, but we keep calling and hoping he will appear.

The water people arrived this morning as arranged and moved the meter from the snake pit  which has now been cleared of undergrowth


To the top of our road, apparently they had problems turning off the valve in the road and both got soaked

However a local contractor has to make the final connection from the meter to us, he was due at 5 this evening but it’s gone 6.  It’s not a big problem as this afternoon MrFF made a temporary connection, the taps work and I was able to wash the breakfast dishes.

I have cleaned the house, it was as always very dusty with lots of dead insects, then I spent time in the garden weeding, cutting back and moving pots into their summer position, happily a lot of plants have survived the neglect.   MrFF cut the so called lawn which is more weeds than grass and we found time for an al fresco lunch and a little pausa.  

The house was cold last night but it’s been sunny today so we’ve had the doors and windows open and it’s fine now though I will light the wood burner tonight as the nights are still cool.

Everything seems ok, it’s nice the long journey is over and a relief we have water, though why our meter shows that we used 40 cubic meters of water while we were away and our supply completely turned off at the snake pit is just another Italian anomaly.   I have no doubt there will be more of those to come.



6 comments:

  1. So relieved for you to read this entry and hopefully everything will now fall into place and allow you an enjoyable stay with lots of captivating photos for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope Enrico turns up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things seem to be heading in the right direction for you at the moment. Hope it continues that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds as if you have started with a win, I hope it continues, hope Enrico makes a return, we do worry about our cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just so horrified that you are going through this but I am not the least bit surprised. So much attitude from the water dingdongs. Too often it's the price to pay as foreigners who wish to live in Italy. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven’t commented before but I’m so glad your water supply seems to be becoming secure at last! I do hope Enrico turns up soon. Have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete