Tuesday 28 February 2023

Once again speechless

I won’t go into detail but in our absence we have had some work done in Italy.  We had a price and paid some money up front, never a good idea.  We were told the worker was an honest man.

When the job was finished we received a photograph of some scribble on a scrap of paper saying how much we owed. It was more than we expected but we assumed the additional 120 euro was tax.  We are happy to pay tax for goods and services, transferred the money and asked for an official receipt.    This arrived and showed there was no tax, for some reason the work was exempt.  Of course we queried the extra 120 euro and were told it was the cost of preparing and issuing the receipt. 

Bet you didn’t anticipate that, us neither. 




5 comments:

  1. Must be so difficult to get things done at a distance. I feel for you. I had one guy gouge me over work he did, I knew he was charging too much but I couldn't find anyone else to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate added extra's, and such a poor excuse to make money, I think we would be looking for a different country to have our home in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting work done from a distance is always a gamble but when we only live there for part of the year it's a necessity. We have builders in chez nous as we speak and we are nervous about what we will find when we get there. We are all easy targets for the hidden extras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When is it time for your return. Hope the water problem has been solved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grief - I wonder how they’d respond if customers then deduct euros for the costs incurred in paying the bill?

    ReplyDelete