Saturday 24 April 2021

That’s more like it

We are back on track after some cool weather and dreary days. Today it was 18 degrees, wall to wall sunshine, we are all so happy, humans and cats have been outside all day.

Yesterday we bought our vegetable plants at the local agricultural shop.  Two types of tomatoes and yellow peppers, we are also growing from seed cherry tomatoes and red peppers.  We got cucumbers, aubergines, radishes, basil and more courgettes as the old seeds we used didn’t all germinate,  that’s a good start.  I also picked up a couple of replacement dipeldenia for my summer pots but when I went to plant them the ones I thought had died are showing signs of life.  In fact everything seems to have survived, both in the ground and in pots, what was considered quite a hard winter except maybe my bougainvillea.  I know we’re a bit too high to grow them,  I’ve lost plants before but I haven’t give up on this one yet I’ll just keep waiting.  Today I’ve been planting and arranging pots with the replacements and various geranium cuttings I took a few weeks ago, just my kind of day.


Mr FF has been working on the upgraded solar shower, he assures me it will be a new improved model, functionally if not aesthetically, and soon ready for use, the modesty screen will take a little longer.   And yes there was a rip in the shirt he was wearing, it’s out of sight but one sleeve is coming away from the body, I’ll bet it goes into the next wash for further use, a man who constructed a solar shower from old bits and pieces wont throw away a shirt like that.

Finally the wisteria has decided it’s time to bloom, not completely out yet but getting there.  The orchard wild flowers are coming too, mostly cow parsley, buttercups and sweet peas at present but lots to happen, Grigio and I sometimes walk round twice a day spotting new treasures.    The wild orchid is out, this isn’t a great photo but it’s the best I can do with the iPad.  

And best of all Giovanni and Milena our lovely neighbours are back from Rome, they called to say hello dressed in warm coats and were surprised to see me in a sleeveless t shirt,  cropped trousers and flip flops. It really feels like the long lonely winter is over, I’m washing our winter clothes to pack away, I’m looking forward to seeing our neighbours lights up above us in the evening instead of being surrounded by darkness and empty space, and to hearing them chatting in the day time.  I’m looking forward but no longer wishing the time away.

Positivity is back thank you sun.

3 comments:

  1. You would have had wall to wall sunshine for the last fortnight here in Yorkshire too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to hear of all the vegetables you will be cultivating this year. Hope they all come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I planted a bougainvillea last year and covered it throughout the winter also, but I'm not holding out much hope of it having survived, and it may be the altitude here also. But isn't it lovely to get spring and the warm weather back!

    ReplyDelete