Tuesday 5 August 2014

The veggie thief strikes



We've been back down in Yorkshire for a few days, basically house hunting, so we spent a few days staying with my brother and his wife. On Friday evening I offered to cook dinner and suggested I make something with pasta using up the plentiful supply of veggies in the kitchen garden. My SiL and I collected red onions, carrots, peas, beans from the crop and I also took a couple of round courgettes.  I was busy chopping and mentioned to SiL how delicious they were as I munched on some raw pieces, I'd given them the zucchini tondo seeds I bought in Italy.  
During the meal we were chatting and again I said something about the round courgettes from the Italian seed, my brother asked if I'd taken a small marrow by mistake, no I said definitely courgettes.  He then told me he hadn't grown any courgettes round or any other shape.  I explained where in the plot I'd found them and he then told me that they were my great niece Amelia's embryo pumpkins for halloween.
We left yesterday, apparently there were only 5 pumpkins so someone needs to explain to a 4 year old that her evil great aunt has eaten half of her 31 October display, it isn't going to be me.  They did taste good though, I'd recommend them.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha that is so funny!!! Nice one Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear - they will just have to tell her that it was the wicked Halloween witch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has made me laugh. Poor child.

    ReplyDelete