Friday 12 July 2024

Stuck in our ways

When I retired I loved the novelty of my time being my own with no schedule, it felt like freedom.   15 years on I seem to have set my own routines. Nothing major of course but I do like to do things a certain way, like not tackling Wordle until I’ve washed the breakfast pots and brushed my teeth. Speaking of breakfast, throughout my working life I always set breakfast before I went to bed. I stopped for a few years then started doing it again. It was something my Mum always did and I followed her example, I really enjoy getting up to see everything waiting on the table for my favourite meal of the day, such a good start.

I make the bed as soon as we get up, hoover and tidy our apartment in the morning.  Little rituals that happen automatically.   I suppose we are creatures of habit and our good habits make us feel organised and grounded.  

It seems MrFF’s routine is always to have a disruptive project on the go. All week he has been working on the spare bedroom wardrobes, I am desperate to put things away imagining the room restored. He tells me the dressing table in the recess to the left will be the last part of the work because as soon as it’s made I shall be installing my non urgent toiletries.  Quite right I will, possibly before I brush my teeth because I can still do spontaneity.



2 comments:

  1. We have found our routine after years of working, we both start the day here, sat together, each on our own desktop, by 10ish I pop and make our bed, I always fold it down to air, can't stand to see a messy bed. As for being itchy to get things back tidy when jobs are being done, I'm often told off for sorting things before he is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both seem to be able to work around each other, a sign of a compatible relationship. I have my routines well established after 17 years of retirement, even to eating the same meals on certain days!

    ReplyDelete