Sunday 28 January 2024

How did we get here

This must be my longest blog absence ever, even worse than last month, forgive me. It’s been January, it’s been cold, we’ve had named storms that have battered us on the top floor and nothing worth talking about has happened.  By the end of the week we will say goodbye to January, I’ve already spotted snowdrops and crocus in flower, it will be better and I will try harder.

We’ve made no progress at all with the Italian planning violation.  Only last week MrFF again chased our geometra who he’d instructed before Christmas to forget about preparing a price for his work which he’d regularly been promising to do since last August and just get the job done.  So said geometry’s wrote back again telling what needs to be done without suggesting he might ever get round to doing it. 

We have no news of our cat Grigio.  Mario asked if he should continue topping up the automatic feeder, of course he must. It’s heart breaking not knowing what has happened, we’ve asked Mario twice to check if she’s down the hillside with a neighbour who feeds several cats, he hasn’t.  

I have started doing my 6 mile walk again, gets me out, fresh air and exercise so gradually I am undoing the damage caused by so many mince pies.

I have knitting in the go, a little cotton gansey for my youngest grand niece, a round neck cabled slipover for me which I think is on the small side so might get pulled out and of course socks are always the go to for evening tv watching.  Suddenly lighting seems to be a problem or more likely failing vision, so something I can knit without regularly referring to the pattern or checking what I’ve done is ideal and pleasingly productive.  I find the purple yarn particularly hard to see under artificial light.





I was starting to feel my age after Christmas, worrying Italian matters and shortage of daylight were probably making me sluggish but as the days lengthen I am much better, more positive and determined not to become elderly even if in years I am.  I will try to be a better blogger, thanks for sticking with me. 

5 comments:

  1. Always happy to see you have posted something. Hope the worry hasn't aged you prematurely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to wonder about and so far away, I would be the same, it is the time of year to start walking again, having said that< I don't walk 6 miles! love your knitting, I've given up dark colours on bigger projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dread January. I dread February too but at least it's a few days shorter.
    You never know, Grigio might turn up when you get back to Italy. There is always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re found your blog! My blog reading stopped when I retired and had a bunch of grandchildren all living locally. Hubby is an Ilkley man. I am beyond impressed with your 6 mile walks as there is little flat in that area.
    Julie



    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how a little more light every day or a momentary appearance by the sun lifts the motivation and momentum. Enjoy those walks!

    ReplyDelete