Friday 16 December 2022

An early Christmas surprise



Proud great aunty moment.  This is my eldest grand niece Amelia, 13 years old.  I sent to her and her younger sister Esme 10 years old via their grandparents, my brother and sister in law, kits to knit their own Christmas wreaths.  3 balls of chunky white wool, a pair of lovely large wooden needles,  a circular metal frame, a red ribbon and full instructions.  It’s quite a while since I taught the girls to knit so I cast on for both of them and knitted the first couple of rows to get them started.

Imagine my delight to receive an email from their mum thanking me for the gifts and saying that within a day of receiving hers Amelia had finished.  

Amelia looks so cosy and calm knitting, I am beyond being proud and the finished article is beautiful. The little socks were some I made and gave my sister in law to distribute as she wished or keep for herself, I must make more.  I can’t wait to see Esme's wreath and I cannot say how happy this post makes me.  The knitting genes might have missed a generation, neither of my nieces is interested. This feels like a lovely and lasting Christmas gift for me and I am hoping the chunky needles might next be used for scarves.

7 comments:

  1. It’s refreshing to see a young person engaged in a craft, especially knitting, and not glued to their phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful influence and role model you must be for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chunky wool knits up so quickly they could be knitting blankets next. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea for a present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely wonderful to see! I cannot believe Amelia is 13 now! I can remember when she was a baby. You deserve to be a proud great auntie, you've given them a lifelong skill which is such a lovely gift! x

    ReplyDelete