Thursday 14 October 2021

Gardening




We cut the front hedge on Tuesday.  It benefitted from the watering system we left for our balcony pots and grew like crazy the month we were away.  So half a days work had us looking smart again, combined with the new fence the neighbours would be impressed if any were here but they are all back in Rome.  Maybe the refuse collectors will notice, otherwise it’s just us.

We are still enjoying produce from the garden.  The tomatoes are not as tasty as they were in high summer but still good and it’s the best year we’ve ever had for dessert grapes. Every day I cut a bunch, strangely by the time I’ve walked back to the house half of them are eaten, they are delicious.

We are not the only ones appreciating the garden, I’ve never seen so many bees.  It’s not unusual for several to be feasting on the same flower, dahlias seem to be first choice.  I grew these from seed, they flowered the first year and did so well I split them last year.  If there is space I might move some divisions to the vegetable area, I feel I owe it to the bees to provide them with as much food as possible. 




5 comments:

  1. Interesting to notice that our gardens are closing down for winter a little ahead of yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are incredible photos of the bees in the dahlias! It is reassuring to know the bees are so prolific in your part of the world - they are so vital to the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a contrast. Here I’ve been clearing the last of my vegetable patch and tomato plants whilst turning the compost, working under grey skies and dodging showers to do so. Thankfully gardening is uplifting whatever the conditions but I could still be tempted to swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely - especially your blue, blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blue sky!!!!!! I am jealous! Happy days xx

    ReplyDelete