Friday 16 August 2024

Knit yourself happy

Interesting article in The Guardian confirming what I already knew, that crafting gives greater life satisfaction than having a job.  

Among other results the team found engaging in arts and crafts was associated with an increase in happiness on a par with ageing by 20 years (as Keyes notes, wellbeing goes up slightly with age), while the sense that life was worthwhile was more strongly associated with crafting than being in employment.  

I could have told them that, knitting isn’t 9 till 5, you are your own boss, creative, productive, no commuting, no performance reviews though we can be quite critical of our work, calming, I could go on.

So I have been working away at my wellbeing knitting up left over sock yarn.  The first pair worked well as I had almost enough of the multi coloured yarn that I supplemented with some blue.  The next pair I’ve started is more challenging. 

One sock is complete, it’s lovely but now I am wondering if I have enough of the same 3 yarns to make a match.  Not that it matters, there’s no one overseeing my work and no customer complaints number to call and hold on for a week listening to irritating music if you want to criticise my self expression.    



3 comments:

  1. I often weigh my 1st sock to check if I have enough yarn, if I'm using mixed colours, I weigh the yarn, knit the 1st sock and weigh the yarn again, I know just how sad that sounds. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if playing sports has the same result. I know doing housework doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, whatever it is that you do, your work is always SO pretty!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete