Monday 24 October 2022

As Promised

JosieKitten  posted recently that she had knitted a pair of socks in a day.  Incredible work, makes my efforts over the last 6 months hardly worth mentioning, but I will.

We had months when the daytime temperature was in the low 30s, nights were spent sitting outside admiring the stars and the lights in the valley, there was no knitting at all during high summer.  In total 4 pairs of socks have been produced since April.


I am now knitting socks of course, they will always be my knitting of choice but I decided because of all the stress we’ve been under that I should also have something that requires a bit more concentration to occupy and calm my mind.  



I’ve started another Estuary wrap.  I love this pattern, it’s interesting but not too tricky thanks to clear instructions and excellent charts, the finished article is elegant and so wearable. I am using Freedom Gorgeous dk, containing 75% bamboo it feels beautifully silky although it has a slight tendency to split, I am being careful. I was given a bag of this yarn which I think it now discontinued, I probably have enough for two wraps which a better person would have finished in time for Christmas.  I’m not interested in high production or meeting deadlines, I’m aiming for sanity. 


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful socks!
    I have total admiration for someone who can knit socks, I'm quite sure I would make a dog's dinner of a job if I tried it myself. It's on my bucket list.
    My dad used to knit socks and gloves when he was in the Royal Navy. He would bring them home to finish off when on leave and I was completely fascinated and in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks are amazing! I have my first pair on the needdles (well actually on a magic ring thingy) but they're not going very well. I'm very slow, and scared to start the heel!
    I found you whilst bloghopping, would be lovely to see you over at mine at emeraldcottage.blogspot.com !
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty socks, like you I find knitting very soothing. It calms the soul as the world runs riot around you. Have you started dabbling in the new yarns, bamboo, etc. I am going to try to knit with a kid silk thread and a Tensel one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that your knitting is helping to keep you sane. Just make sure that all the stress doesn't mess up your tension so your socks will only fit a small child! (It has happened to me, although not to that extreme!)

    ReplyDelete