Saturday 9 July 2011

Free time

So the first week of unemployment has gone very well. Mr FF is gradually sorting out his home office, though I see little increase in space yet. I have my eye on some of his filing cabinets for my knitting patterns. He had to return some of his executive toys on Tuesday, fancy phone, lap top etc plus lots of files so after a brief visit to his ex-office in Co Durham we travelled on to Yorkshire and spent a couple of days with friends and family, a chance to catch up without the need to rush back for work. We had a delicious meal with Roger and Christine though our real intention was of course to visit their gorgeous black cat Panther, you can read about him here, now 16 he is still very sprightly.
Then onto my brother's for a couple of nights. We were fortunate that Amelia came for the day and we had plenty of time with her. I had just finished this little swing cardy, knitted in Sublime organic cotton the pattern is from Easy Kids Knits by Claire Montgomerie. Both Amelia and I were delighted with the result, it was easy to knit as the yoke is in one piece, less stitching up, and the front band is knitted with the body. Maybe the colour, borage, wasn't the best for a day on the farm but Amelia insisted on wearing it and it is machine washable. I plan to knit her another in a more serviceable colour and as this is only the second size I can use the same pattern for years to come. I'm not the only one making for Amelia, how do you like her motor. This was made for her by another of her great aunt's father, just from waste materials, old pram wheels and the like. It really is wonderful, beautifully constructed with a loud horn, old lamps and can be connected to a battery so the motor really works, Amelia is a bit young at present for driving and is helped round by Grandad. The number plate WAS 1M comes from the maker's respect for the Pakistani Wasim Akram regarded as one of the best fast bowlers in the history of cricket.
Mr FF commented on Tuesday that it felt like Saturday, I did explain that when you don't work every day is a Saturday maybe I should perhaps have suggested he needed to finish clearing his office and then he'd feel more settled but I think quite rightly he's already got the idea that he now has all the time in the world.

12 comments:

  1. Not to detract from the adorable cuteness of the child or the absolutely beautiful knitting...but the car is just INCREDIBLE! How much love for this little girl that so many would make such effort to make her happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh she is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cardi is extremely lovely but that car is totally amazing!!
    Every little child needs a grampa like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More fantastic knitting from your good self, the cardigan is lovely and looks so good on her, no wonder she didn't want to take it off! But that car is splendid, what a talented grandad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, wow and wow! Gorgeous cardi, cute Amelia and fabulous car. The little cardi is lovely and such a pretty colour. Have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness! I can't believe how big Amelia has got! It just seems like yesterday when you were knitting tiny baby knits for her! I do hope that Mr FF has freed up some space for all your knitting things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cardigan, it looks gorgeous. I think I shall be knitting one for my goddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, now sweet... and how much Amelia has grown, my goodness! Love the little cardi you knit for her--that dusky lavender-blue wool is lovely. Very glad these first days of retirement are going well for you & Mr FF. I'm sure it will take some getting used to still, and adjusting to how time in, how to use it, etc. Happy Days, Jenny! Oh, I am actually launching a new blog today, with new creative focus--I'm very excited about it. In a few weeks I'll be closing Pink Purl. Thanks for visiting me there sometimes. :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cardi is lovely - and the car is FABULOUS!! When Malcolm retired, I insidted that no matter what we did through the week, we continued with our usual routine for weekends .... I was worried that without a shape to the week, we would somehoe lose track of things. It has worked well, and of course we have now established other routines for through the week, to give shape to life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I love Amelia's pedal car and her cardi but that goes without saying of course. I still remember the little pedal car I had and it was nowhere near as special as this one.

    Also thankyou for your comment Jenny on News From Italy, I think it is the true sunshine flower, truly living up to its name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely, and well loved, little sweetie. Great new cardi, I like how you make it sound so simple! Love the little car too, what talent!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amelia is just the perfect model for your gorgeous cardi and that wonderful motor.

    ReplyDelete