Friday 27 July 2007

Bride of the Year






















My niece, who is also my goddaughter, was married on 07.07.2007 at the church in the village where I was born, as was my father, my grandfather and my great grandfather. The sun shone and the day was perfect. She had been planning this event for at least two years, knew exactly what she wanted and got everything she wanted. Guests ranged in age from 2 weeks to 94 years and everyone had a wonderful time, particularly the bride and groom who apparently partied until 2 am and were a little tetchy next day according to the bride's sister who was her gorgeous bridesmaid.

It was so special for me to return to the place I left 37 years ago to be greeted my people who have known me all my life and to see the girl I've known all her life so very happy. I can be a bit cynical about the expense and expectations of modern weddings, speaking as someone who nipped into Middlesbrough Registry Office one Saturday morning around 10 am in 1970 and came out a wife at approximately 10.10 am, but if a girl wants to be a princess for one day and make her parents so proud, who would stop her. Money well spent, please raise your glasses to Mr and Mrs Ward who can now begin living happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment