We've had two days of the most dreadful weather, rain, hail, snow and strong winds, that has slowed down progress at the penthouse. Apart from not being able to do so much outside, our roofers get called away to emergencies, which I can quite understand. If I had water pouring into my home I'd want someone round straight away, no wait I did have water pouring in.
Ben who is doing the lead work round the new opening is excellent, he's making a wonderful job and takes a great pride in his work.
Producing this sort of fitting from a flat sheet of lead is nothing short of brilliant, it really is going to look splendid.
But for now things look much the same in the lounge, chaotic, and it seems such a long time since we actually sat down in there. You can get an idea of the size of the new opening when you see one of the old doors to the left of the blocked up space, just beside the step ladders. Rain is pelting against the plastic sheeting, work has stopped and tomorrow is really the last day to have the new roof waterproofed, the tiles put back on and the opening properly boarded up to keep us water tight before the leave for Italy on Monday.
To add to our problems, we had steeplejacks here on Monday doing work on the building's lightning conductors. They seem to have broken some roof slates as we had water coming into the lounge in a location nothing to do with our work and directly under where they have been.
It's all par for the course, we always like to go off to Italy in a state of mental and physical exhaustion, we have to get the maximum benefit from our break.
And finally, completely frustrated by Extra Energy as detailed in my last post, I phoned them and said we had decided to cancel our standing order and they could come and disconnect our supply, something the press would love as we are a couple of pensioners. The man was more than sympathetic and said he would reduce the monthly payment, I asked to pay £60 instead of £126 explaining that since they already held £1,000 of our money they could take that risk. He said the change could take 4 to 6 weeks to activate and both Mr FF and I expected nothing would happen. Yesterday we had an email saying from 03 May our payment will be £60, it that's true it will be some kind of result. Now we need to get back the money we are in credit, but not just yet, I don't have the strength until after our holiday.