Thursday 8 December 2011

Busted

The second day of our drive home from Italy was long and stressful. Mr FF, Yorkshire through and through was reluctant to pay the road tolls so we spent a lot of time travelling through villages averaging 40 mph until he agreed that we were getting no where and he was devastated at having to fork out 37 euro to use the Mont Blanc tunnel spectacular as it was. We hadn't booked accommodation for that evening as we had quite an ambitious schedule but we pressed on to Reims our intended stop and arrived around 9.30 pm. Driving round looking for a hotel, Mr FF stopped the car right in the town centre and told me to go and ask the way to the Holiday Inn Express. I panicked and in my haste to get out whilst trying to switch my brain from Italian to schoolgirl French I stood on my knitting and snapped two of my precious Knitpro needles. I only had one spare with me. In the end Mr FF had to go and get directions as I was far too emotional, the Holiday Inn Express was dire and we couldn't get anything to eat except a plate of sandwiches. Miserable at the thought of not being able to knit for the next three days and all that travelling still to do I went on line that night and found Shiela who kindly posted a new set of Knitpros to my brother's house, they arrived safely next day and I can't thank her enough for helping me out.

It wasn't all bad in Reims however, we had a decent breakfast, a walk round the Christmas market and later I found a Phildar shop, bought a pair of metal 2.5 dps and used one of them to keep me going through the tunnel and up to Yorkshire. I also found this lovely sock yarn, sometimes life is fair.

5 comments:

  1. There are still Phildar shops? I was so sad when they closed them here. What luck that you found Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do knit the yarn soon - I want to see how the pattern turns out! How annoying about your needles. Last year I dropped one of my needles in the car - it disappeared and was only found moths later when Malcolm was giving the car a really thorough clean!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine your horror at breaking a needle whilst travelling. I never forget horror stories such as yours and always drop an extra sock needle in the bottom of my handbag, just in case!

    (although the day I forget to do that will be the day that one breaks!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the worst nightmare.... stuck in a car for hours on end with NO knitting!!!Aaaargggh! Glad you got it sorted. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I can imagine just how stressed you felt. I HATE not having knitting with me at all times. There's only one thing for it you know. You'll have to keep an emergency knit-kit in the car!!

    ReplyDelete