Thursday 30 June 2011

Saturday's Sit and Knit

I was looking forward to my sit and knit session at the village market, no selling pressure just time to knit and chat and it was great fun.
Pam made me a very lovely sign and I took a selection of wool, needles and a few books with patterns for squares as inspiration though we were only knitting simple garter stitch on the day.
This was probably the last village fair as the support from local people has been poor and it was very quiet on Saturday. This a great shame as the event offers a good community get together with local stalls, children's corner, tombola, a cafe, cookery demonstration and all in a good cause, this one was raising funds for Cancer Research. I already had a few squares on the needles in case people wanted to pick them up and just knit a row or two but some of my beginners actually wanted to learn cast on first. My star pupil was 10 year old Amy who had already visited the face painting department, she did a great job, so good to see young people showing an interest. I had quite a few experienced knitters, including some of the stall holders who sat and made whilst selling and people who took their knitting with them while they walked round the fair. We didn't produce enough squares for a blanket on the day but I'll keep making them and a few locals who took away needles and wool to keep going have delivered squares to my house and taken more supplies. There was also talk about starting a village Stitch and Bitch group, I'm all for that. As a bonus one of the stall holders pulled out late on Friday so I was asked to take some socks to put on a shared stall, on my behalf Lesley and Nan sold about £50 worth for me.

7 comments:

  1. I've put a comment on your sock entry. I am curious to know what you sold the socks for, did they go well and did people willingly pay the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and the blanket looks wonderful, I hope you will show us when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope that this wasn't the last village fair Jenny. It can be such a good thing for the community. You've got a little way to go with your blanket, but it would be great if a local knitting group rose out of the ashes of the fair!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to be back at last catching up with your blogging activities, it is such a shame that village events like this no longer get the support they once did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that's not the last fair! We're very polite down here - we have knit and natter, not stitch and bitch!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi popping in via Tilly Rose. Your village fair sounds a great idea and I do hope it carries on ... we have nothing like that here in this urban sprawl. I saw a young girl knitting at the last V & H that I did .... she was really good and so nice to see youngsters carrying it on. My daughters look at me as though I am totally mad when I mention that they may like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely! Hope you manage to get even more squares added. I agree that these kind of community events are so, so important, but sadly seem to be becoming fewer and fewer. Have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete