Thursday 16 June 2011

Plain speaking not

I've been trying all week to take some decent photographs of the adult woodpecker and the fledgling that have been visiting the feeders. The adult usually arrives first, calls the little one over and proceeds to pop food into it's beak. Since this is the best I could do here are pictures of my herbaceous border that they are able to admire from the feeding station.
I was reading this morning on Yarnstorm's post that Jane cannot stand the expression 'going forward' and she gives a link to an article in The Independent that includes 100 banned cliches, going forward being top of the list. I too detest these inane phrases having spent many years working in occupational psychology where they are rife, 'touch base' was top of my hate list. So I was a bit surprised today when I went to tell Mr FF that I thought the baby bird had finally grasped the idea of feeding itself, the little one is 'peck enabled' I said, where the hell did that come from.

11 comments:

  1. Jenny, your garden is really beautiful! How lucky to have woodpeckers visiting too :-). Enjoy the weekend! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great woodpecker pic :)

    I hate those sort of phrases - they remind me of someone I worked with back in the 80's - he was forever 'touching base' and 'pushing envelopes' - a total plonker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate "managementy phrases" When I worked for the bank that nearly ruined the country, we used to play "Management Bol**ks Bingo" in meetings. We had cards, and ticked off the phrases used - of course the management never knew!!! Your garden is lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your garden is gorgeous!!

    I don't like these phrases either but find myself using them sometimes!! When they are heard every day, it's hard not to let them creep in to ones brain!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At this moment in time, at the end of the day, it's a no-brainer ..... your garden is lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this post and roaring my head off at the comments! :O))))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with you wholeheartedly about all the nonsense jargon that all too often slips into our vocabulary! I'm seriously jealous of your garden too - magnificent borders!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks lovely, Jenny. My particular hated phrase is 'moving the goalposts'. Always sets my teeth on edge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you've clearly grasped the nettle, horizon scanned and taken gardening to the next level. Unlike here, where a spot of blue sky thinking will help us hit the ground running. Or maybe we just need a paradigm shift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is LOVELY, Jenny! Care to come to Norway for a little garden vacation and help me make my garden more like something from England--my dream garden?! ;o) I've not seen a woodpecker in years...we don't have many where we are now, so far from wooded area. I will have to go see that link... I can't stand "touch base" either... LOL! It's funny how expression become part of our vocabulary, and so quickly... and that we end up saying even ones we don't like--yikes! Happy Summer Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is looking lovely and you made me laugh this morning with your comments. Which I needed as planning what looks to be a cold and wet trip to the UK for Mum's funeral :(
    Thanks for your comments on my lizard photos.

    ReplyDelete