Friday 19 February 2010

Longing for spring

I bought myself some red tulips this week, a sort of Valentine to me and they make me very happy. Mr FF doesn't seem to have read my previous post, despite the various emails I've received from friends this week, he has been very busy bless him. However its probably going to come out tonight as we have friends coming for dinner, I know they read it.
Been a good week really, I've had several afternoons in the garden working from the paths cutting back and tidying. There are lots of bulbs coming up but my snowdrops still aren't out yet. I read that the bulb display this year should be spectacular as many have been held back by the wintry weather, so we can expect snowdrops, crocus, tulips, daffodils et al flowering in a blaze of colour. I'll believe that when I see it, and I really am ready to see it. I couldn't find a single thing in the garden to make an arrangement for the table, the winter jasmine stopped flowering under the snow and hasn't started again, nothing. Even my indoor hyacinths are on hold, lucky I got those tulips.
Must go and see to the dinner, have a good weekend.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful tulips, Jenny! I'm glad you treated yourself. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tul;ips really cheered me up! How do you make them look artistic and not stand up straight like soldiers??

    Our garden looks really dreary. Roll on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tulips! I haven't got a speck of colour in the garden either so I bought some tete-a-tete daffs for the windowsill which will go on my next post.

    So, did the subject come up at friend's last night? Did he look suitably embarrassed or did he brazen it out?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, lovely tulips, my favourites. You have a good weekend, too. At least the sun is shining here. perfect car washing weather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear what he said!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the tulips perked you up. If its any consolation, I have my own set of pans here. After I moved in with him I got sick and tired of the interrogations.... so he has his Le Creusets and I have my Lidls...... can't say peace reigns, but war doesn't break out quite so frequently :O))))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, a little bit of outdoors--does a body good! And these tulips are just gorgeous... such luscious lipstick-red color! How did it go last night, Mr FF get wind of the post then via friends...??!! Can't wait to hear how it went... LOL! Any wine left? I'll bring my knitting over and we can chat! ;o) Happy Weekend, Jenny ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear!! Poor Mr FF!!! As Shakespeare said, the course of true love never did run smoothly!! Pop over to mine - I have had a glimpse of spring today!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a great evening and that if 'it' does come up Mr FF can see the funny side now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tulips! I took a photo of our garden yesterday - half looking green, albeit a little bedraggled, and half under about an inch of snow. I thought that maybe spring was finally on its way!!
    However, plans to go out today were scuppered when we woke up to see heavy snow falling again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope your dinner party wasn't too fraught! Lovely flowers - really a sense of spring in the air, although as I type this, it's snowing heavily outside!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely tulips! Flowers are always good for lifting the spirits. We have snowdrops just beginning to flower in our garden, which is later than usual; but a welcome sight nevertheless. Have a good week! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely tulips. I nearly bought some the other day but didn't as I realised they'd only get in the way as the house is such a mess at the moment, sad really!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you haven't had more snow that will have spoiled your spring feelings!

    I have some daffodils in our living room at the moment - they're so simple yet so lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must be having better weather than here in Cheshire. It has been and still is too cold for gardening here. Lovely tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful tulips. i was in the florist today and wanting to buy some myself, but in this heat, they are not likely to last long, so settled for some sunflowers instead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HeY! Flipflopfactory.ca has been following your blog for a while and would like to send you a free pair of Bandals. email me at info@flipflopfactory.ca

    ReplyDelete