Monday 8 February 2010

I felt like a pair of curtains but I've pulled myself together

It brings me a great deal of relief that January is over and February is well established. I got to the stage towards the end of last month where I felt old and sluggish (more than usual that is) , I was considering becoming a recluse and had got as far as constantly wearing tatty old clothes and watching daytime television. My eyes turned square shaped as my bum turned pear shaped.
But now I feel much more positive and have been doing positive things. I've started baking bread using organic spelt wholemeal flour which purports to be nutritious and digestible, it certainly tastes good in the morning with cream cheese and home made blackcurrant jam, which probably cancels out all the health benefits.
I finally got round to making a batch of marmalade. I hadn't been able to source any Seville oranges locally and trips into town hadn't gone much further than the supermarket for a siege style stock up. I intended to buy oranges when I was in Darlington but ran out of time after too much chatting. Luckily Mr FF found some for me last Friday, I made 12 jars, a years worth. I even managed to make some pretty labels. I had a delivery of lily bulbs, the box strangely left on the front door step on Sunday morning, so I got those potted up and had a general greenhouse tidy yesterday. Unfortunately when I scooped out a pot of compost from the bag I disturbed the frog that had been sleeping and possibly still hibernating in there. He seemed a bit dazed and dusty though nothing like as shocked as I was to see him sitting looking at me, he hopped off amongst some pots on the greenhouse floor and should be fine.
Although I feel I've done nothing in January, I have of course been knitting and now have a nice little basket full of socks, socks and more socks, plus the odd hat and scarf so not all wasted time. Its snowing again today but it is February, it can't last, things can only get better.

21 comments:

  1. I like your optimism that the snow can't last, that things can only get better? I remember a snowy April Easter.... so am not so complacent!! And who cares anyway.... surely one of the joys of living here are the vagaries of the weather, the changing of the seasons, the unpredictability... and what else would Brits have to talk about if it were all the same, month in, month out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daytime television... pear-shaped bum...oh, no... that's when you know the winter blues are getting bad! ;o) So glad to hear you've turned the corner Jenny, and sounds like you're heading in happier direction. This winter has be so hard. My bum is growing pear-shaped too, I fear... but I've tried my best to bypass the void that is daytime TV...LOL! Happy Week, my friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. January had a bad effect on me also, I have been hibernating and spending far too much time reading great blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That jam looks lovely! I agree re spelt as well.. I can't eat wheat, but manage just fine with spelt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have watched so many (extremely awkward) people searching for houses at home, abroad, by the sea, in the country - its untrue!! Roll on lighter nights and brighter days! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been a very busy little bee Jenny. It is good to know that Spring is on its way; I completely agree! You made some labels for your scrummy marmalade....YAY! They look rather chic. Nothing like the taste of homemade. I think our resident frog spends his winter in the composter. I guess it's a great place to 'chill' for the winter! Enjoy the week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kind of hoping winter goes away soon and spring appears instead.

    Looking forward to less clothes and of course flipflops ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't even say how glad I am that spring round the corner, and January is out of the way at last! I think this has been one of the longest Januarys I can remember, and so many people have been feeling gloomy. Well done on all that marmalade! I've never even attempted to make that before. I think this year I'd like to make more preserves (except strawberry, which does Not Set!). Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Carrie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sounds as if you've been doing great things this week. Spring will definitely come!!! The day's are getting longer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad you're feeling brighter hun...things can only get better with spring on it's way....
    Hugs Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm still in the middle of it, I'm determined to get out for a walk today. Your jam looks just like mine, I love blackcurrant jam, its my very favourite.

    Lets hope it brightens up soon. (and warms up Brrrrr)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly have been productive. Know what you mean about spending too much time watching rubbish on the old goggle box, though. I've never actually made marmalade so maybe I could give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it's any consolation January has been pretty dire on this side of the pond too, not much snow, just one grey day after another, so I too have been brightening up the house with potted plants and my amaryllis is now in flower. February is usually our snow month, it's snowing as I type this. We should have around 10" by Wed lunchtime. Can't get seville oranges in my neck of the woods, used to make marmalade every year in England, never got round to fancy labels though! We do have a great alternative in the Spring.... homemade lime marmalade! Divine!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that you have done far more than you think you have. Love the title of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sound very much like I was at this time last year. Best of luck from us in moving through it xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A bad case of blogger's bum here........... have got sunshine today though, and have a bank of snowdrops to look at.... hibernation might just be coming to an end... fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the sun shone today....but there are still little hummocks of snow, the mountains in the lay by are now little mole hills (though its generally the other way round)

    How thin do yo have to slice oranges for marmalade-is there agadget involved?

    ReplyDelete
  18. disappointingly anonymous in my last comment; now i'll just be mysteriously named stranger

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmmmm, there's nothing to beat the taste of homemade marmalade and jam. Love the labels. Hope that the snow clears soon and you get your joi de vivre back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've been knitting all those socks, AND making marmalade and bread???

    You must be a Wonder Woman!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your labels. I'd like to do something simialr this year with some of my homemade jams, preserves and chutneys. these look far more pretty than scribbles.

    ReplyDelete