Monday 19 October 2009

Knitting now - vintage

One of the nice things about being a knitter is that people will give you wool, quite often old and sometimes unidentifiable. Luckily I don't have any of the latter at the moment but a quantity of the former that I've been using up.
I made this lacy scarf in 2 ply, yes that's right, it was like knitting with cobweb. I thought I had just a single 1 ounce (28 g) skein of this Sirdar pure wool but when I undid it to start winding I found there were 2 so I felt confident I had enough for a scarf. In fact just one ball was sufficient, which means I can embark on more fine and lacy work, eventually.
I also have a lot of Lister Poodle 2, very retro, in a not very pleasant colour combination that would have made a dreadful jumper which seems to have been the original intention judging by the quantity. This boucle does make a well padded and comfy pair of welly socks but since its 97% wool and 3% nylon I'm not sure they will last very long.And finally I made the cotton I got in the charity shop into a simple cowl,inspired by though not as elegant as some of the ones Tracy makes. I knit an oblong till most of the wool was used, made a button hole then finished the ball. I had to fathom out the right place to stitch the button but got there in the end.
I just realised what a garish post this is with such a mixture of textures and colours, still I am happy that all the yarns are finding a useful life after all these years. I can't imagine that the lovely wools we use nowadays, Noro, Opal, Araucania, will ever seem so dated or undesirable, but who knows, there's nothing new in fashion so brown beige and orange could be the new black.

9 comments:

  1. Well, I love your lace scarf, it doesn't look too complicated either, but sadly I have no 2 ply left.. keep meaning to get some. And the cowl is a brilliant idea, may pinch that too, if you don't mind? My neck is always cold in winter, I wear scarves all the time, just the thickness changed, so to have a cowl like that would be good. I do have a pattern for one, a real slouchy one that looks lovely, but it's done on a circular needle, and I haven't mastered them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhh...that lace scarf is so very delicate and elegant, Jenny--I love that soft blue color and the fine pattern--this is gorgeous! By my those are some flashy socks--very retro!--that's a polite way of saying it, isn't it--LOL! It is hard to imagine the newer colorways being dated in some years time. Have some things in my stash that I happily feel haven't dated too much. So can still make something! I am very, VERY impressed with your buttoned cowl, Jenny--I love that fun tutti-fruitti colorway and the chunky button. You did a fantastic job with that. Are you keeping it for yourself? Hope so...we all could use a little handmade treat of one's own now & then. Happy week, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Some lovely 'bits and bobs' Jenny! Those socks are great. I love brightly coloured socks and they look sooo warm and comfy too. Great to wear inside your wellies whilst you're planting all those fabulous bulbs. Your garden will be even prettier next Spring. Something to really look forward to during dark, winter days. I love the fine pale blue lacy scarf too; very pretty! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitting lace is an achievement! Does it pass through a ring? I'm sure it does! I love how you're using wool you've been given, there's something very thoughtful about your knitting with gifted wool, a challenge, i imagine.
    Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to say that I am organising a Christmas-themed swap over on The Three R's Blogspot, if you are interested at all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely knitting. I don't think I have the patience or lightness of hand for 2-ply wool! The cowl is great, just the thing for chilly autumn days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas swap on Three R's cancelled... please see blog post done lunchtime 21st for explanation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your lacy scarf......beautiful and delicate.
    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. nice to meet a fellow blogger with the same interests (AND I love Pretty Woman bigtime too!)
    Looking forward to more gossip....
    karen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great knits as ever. I think my favorite is the cowl - I can see it as a great Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete