Thursday 22 October 2009

I am a great aunt

Yes I am. Amelia Jasmine, love the names, was born yesterday morning at 9.25, 8 lbs something and all doing well. She was a breech baby and delivered by Cesarean so she and Mum will be in hospital down in Yorkshire for a few days. I am so excited, the Christmas gift knitting is out of the window now, its pink ballet tops and cuddly little cardies. Luckily I am in town tomorrow because even though I have one of the biggest knitting stashes known to man, there is nothing suitable for me to get started. I'd already bought this card in case my niece had a girl, so sweet and this morning there was a card through our letter box from Pam and Andrew congratulating us on becoming great aunt and uncle.

In actual fact we are both great aunts because from being tiny our youngest niece couldn't understand one of us being aunt and one uncle, so we have always both been aunts, and we like it that way.There is only one irritation today, I can't find the last ball of Rowan All Seasons Cotton to finish this little cardigan. I believe the yarn came as a joining gift when I renewed my Rowan membership and it was just right for this pattern. I knit the back and two sleeves to check I had enough yarn and I definitely did. That means there is one ball somewhere in the house, which I have turned upside down twice searching but to no avail. I know the minute I pull my work out and start something else that ball will turn up, so annoying. Its not as if I have the band to try and find more in the same shade or dye, I may just have to buy more yarn tomorrow and start again, its not everyday you become a great aunt and I do want to be an eccentric one.

17 comments:

  1. Many congratulations, how lovely! I look forward to seeing more of your lovely baby knits, and happy wool shopping tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You and Snoopydog will be swapping baby patterns! Love the colour of the Rowan yarn -hope you find that elusive ball soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many congratulations - I love her name. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! OOhhh, lots of lovely little things to knit. I really love the little cabled cardi;I do hope you find the missing ball of yarn , so that it can be finished. It's such a pretty colour. I've tried to make myself finish off all started bits and bobs, before I allow myself to become addicted to making 'little people' things. Enjoy your wool selecting! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulatons!

    Looks like it's the same yarn that I used for my Trellis (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/KateBlackburn/trellis-2). I still have some left so if you don't find yours, let me know and you can have my oddments if they're the right dyelot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! loving her names.Looking forward to seeing your little knits....x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! How exciting! All that wonderful girly knitting you can get down to.............. I'm a huge fan of Debbie Bliss patterns for babies, they're exquisite.
    Your knitting is looking fantastic, hope you find that last ball.
    Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a happy thing.
    My big girl is Amelia.
    (Also my grandmother and her mother and a lot of cousins - now in Heaven due to old age.)
    Alfazema

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Great Auntie! Hope all is well still with new mum & sweet baby--love those names too! A girl...what JOY! Did you find that missing call of Rowan for this cardi? That pattern is stunning!! Love the soft heathery purple yarn too. Happy weekend, Jenny! ((HUGS)) Oh, had to laugh a little at the comment you left at my place... I shouldn't be eating cake either--my waistline is showing that too many treats have been consumed this autumn already, and it's not even Christmas holidays yet--LOL! My hubby has such a sweet-tooth, so I bake...*sigh*... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to both great aunts. Shame about the missing yarn and I hope you don't end up having to pull out your (as always)gorgeous knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congatulations.....I bet you can't wait to have a cuddle with sweet Amelia. The cardigan is gorgeous and I hope you are able to find the missing ball......beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congatulations Jenny.
    How exciting, a new baby to bring a new life and fresh breathe into the world.
    Babies are so precious...
    Tracey
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations - how very exciting! Are you going to visit the little one soon? x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on becoming a great aunt! I bet that you have knitted something for they baby by now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. there is nothing worse is there Jenny?...I hope you find it...I once unpicked something and then found the ball a week later!...I am cursing (under my breath of course) as I battle with one of my Skye jumpers, this patter just doesnt look right, I keep un ravelling and knitting unravellying and knitting counting and checking and I cant see a pattern forming...must be the wine...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete