Tuesday 6 October 2009

Bam bam boo

The commissioned v neck is complete and delivered, it will be presented later this week and we will all be waiting to hear how it is received replacing as it does something of a family heirloom.I've also stopped knitting the blanket squares and stitched them together, I think this is enough to make a decent knee blanket that I'll be sending off to the Macmillan appeal this week. I was dreading the joining operation but a wet afternoon saw the work done and I might even be willing to tackle something like this again. So for now I need something simple and have started a pair of plain socks in Wendy Happy, a mix of 75% bamboo 25% nylon. This is the first time I've used bamboo and I'm not really enjoying it in the way I might a ball of Opal. The yarn is very silky and therefore slippery, splits easy and a dropped stitch will quickly run many rows back. Apparently bamboo is being touted as an environmentally friendly choice from a renewable resource, no plants are killed to produce the yarn and within a few months a new crop can be harvested. I believe the same criteria can be applied to sheep. Bamboo is naturally antibacterial, is breathable and cool, strong and flexible with great drape. Likewise wool. I'll be interested to see how the socks wear but at the moment I'm thinking that a high percentage wool is my sock yarn of choice. It may be a bit more expensive but I'd much prefer to look out of my kitchen window onto a field of happily grazing sheep rather than huge canes waving in the breeze.

16 comments:

  1. You are a busy bee! You are really doing some beautiful knitting. I especially love the color of the sock yarn. Maybe it's not fun to work with but it sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely squares. I have tried to teach myself to knit in the last few weeks with mixed sucess. Though fun to do a few rows in bed at night. I think I am more of a sewing and baking girl. I'll leave the knitting to the pros, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am appreciative of anyone who knits on four needles, I don't have the patience to be faffing with moving needles, so all my socks are done on two needles. Not cheating exactly. I know someone else who tried a bamboo yarn and she wasn't impressed either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how quickly you've knitted that jumper. I hope it fitted the bill! I have a couple of balls of Happy in my stash. I was induced by the colours to buy them, but so far have not got round to knitting them. I wonder whether the yarn would suit a scarf or shawl better? I agree, there's nothing like wool for socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the jumper for Bill and your socks! I agree with your thoughts on the Wendy 'Happy'. I used the very same yarn for a 'little person' cardigan a while back and although the colours are very pretty, it does split and just doesn't feel as good to work with. It's making a very pretty pair of socks though! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sweater and blanket are lovely and I'm sure the eventual recipients will be well chuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny,
    Thanks for visiting me and leaving a sincere comment. Your knitting is fabulous and I will study your blog in more depth very soon.
    Take Care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny, I loved reading this post. Your work is beautiful and I know that the sweater is going to make the recipient very happy....what a wonderful thing to do!
    I agree with you on the merits of wool, O think it will always be my favourite yarn to use.Yesterday I read on the Jimmy Beans site about wool made from seaweed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny,
    Thanks for stopping by and being so honest about fall! I love it!
    I also love those square you did, they are so beautiful! What a skill you have.
    Thanks for joinin the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness you people are talented. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a LOT of beautiful knitting you've been doing, Jenny--really impressive variety! The v-neck pullover is fantastic--and heirloom indeed. It's going to be a favorite to-wear for a long time--well done! The squares/blanket is lovely...that will be keeping some knees happy and warm. :o) LOVE the yarn for those socks you have in progress--jewel-bright colors! I do wish I were better at sock knitting, but I'm hopeless...LOL! I have a bamboo yarn for a cardi to knit of myself. I've not tried it yet though... I've heard mixed feeling about bamboo & bamboo blends too. For socks wool or alpaca does seem best. Happy Knitting, Jenny ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet your needles go 100mph!!!! You are such a fst knitter - beautiful too. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done for getting that jumper finished. Fingers on fire!

    I'm with you on the wool vs bamboo debate. Wool just seems much more natural and a good use of a resource that might otherwise go to waste.

    Just because something can be made out of bamboo (and it seems now that there's very little that can't) it doesn't mean that it should. Especially if that means increased land being given over to growing it and processing it when facilities already exist to process wool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very impressed at the speed of your knitting! And men's jumpers take a long time to knit, so you must be extraordinarily fast! It looks lovely, what I can see of it in the photo, I'm sure it will get a very emotional reception.
    The blanket looks gorgeous, I do love all the different patterns you've used, and it all looks perfect as a whole, beautiful, well done!
    Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that the recipient of the jumper is happy with it. The blanket looks lovely. How do you find the time to knit and write a blog as well?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have just read your blog and greatly appreciated your blog, thanks for share this content.
    Check here
    A funtastic read
    Additional info

    ReplyDelete