Tuesday 20 February 2024

Spring is springing

On bright mornings we have the sun streaming into our kitchen via the central atrium, such a good start to the day.  I love this time of spring bulbs and flowers that make me miss my Scottish garden and the plants I had, many different hellebores, witch hazels, primroses, I wonder what’s happened to them as I am told the garden is now rather neglected.

I have a few pots of daffodils on the balcony and I added crocus into the two big pots last autumn, they are just starting to flower.   It’s a slow process as our north facing balcony won’t be in the sun for another month.

Indoors I have several amaryllis from previous years, some growing just in water one flowering beautifully. 


Also a couple of hyacinths also in water, I quite like sticking bulbs in vases or jars of water and being able to see what’s happening.  I am prone to rooting about in compost to check for growth often causing serious damage. My Christmas cactus also from last year is still flowering, it’s been amazing for almost 2 months.

Inspired by longer days and better weather I did some work in our communal garden at the weekend.  Ever hopeful I planted out my Christmas hyacinths that had finished flowering, the ones I put in previous years were strimmed to the ground before they could flower by out slash and burn gardener.  I must make a notice telling him not to do anything in that area. I tidied round the daffodils, collected a lot of sodden leaver that concealed more bulbs and weeded the herb garden MrFF and I created years ago.

Next day I was surprisingly stiff and achy, I am considering doing more gardening in the hope it’s going to firm up my inner thighs and bottom, no pain no gain, and I was definitely in pain in those areas.

4 comments:

  1. Your indoor plants all look very healthy. So nice to get out in the garden this early in the year. We are still under snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always call this time of year first spring or fools spring, because March always has a sting, with some years even snow, so I wait, just doing tidy work outside. Love your Amaryllis, mine is still buds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can smell the scent of Spring in your photos. Only this week my daffodils in the garden have begun to join snowdrops in bloom and with winter flowering pansies in tubs on the patio, I’m smiling again when I step outside despite all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas cactus really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete