Tuesday 27 June 2023

My mistake

I recall MrFF saying that once the terrace was finished we would enjoy a couple of weeks of relaxation before returning to the UK.  We must interpret that word differently, I imagined lazy days lounging in the garden but he started strimming the orchard, beginning each morning before 7 am and working till midday.  It has to be done, which if we had a family motto I am sure is the one he would choose, and while I love the area full of wild flowers it looks equally lovely when it’s cleared.


He has made some repairs to the render about the house, particularly where the builders replaced the tile skirtings and touched up the paint.

He also decided to use the tiles left over from the balcony to tidy the area around the pizza oven and bbq, neither of which we have used in 20 years.  In the late afternoons as it cools somewhat he laid a levelling screed over the rough concrete, that has already smartened up the space.  He gave me such an incredulous look when I said he should just paint the screed and forget about the tiles. I am at 74 happy to bodge things and get on with the life I have left.


It was our 53rd wedding anniversary last week, after all those years together we still we each retain our individuality.  Whether I am wise to continue believing what my husband tells me is another matter, he is making a big improvement but time is running out for any relaxation before we leave at the weekend.



6 comments:

  1. I hope by the time you return to Ilkley the hot weather will have returned for you - up to a couple of days ago it was in the high twenties even here in the Dales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! MrFF is a bit of a workaholic, methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good job your UK home does not need so much maintenance! I hope you have a good journey back. It's usually hellish on the UK side we have found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! New here from Texas.
    I have been reading of your adventures...have really enjoyed them! I'll be back for more...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! Mr FF is pretty handy. Send him along to me please when he's run out of jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did use the pizza oven when we stayed in your beautiful home. Happy to see you are not there during the terrible heatwave.
    Barb Terenzi Chalmers

    ReplyDelete