Thursday 1 December 2022

Move over Marie Kondo

I am basically a tidy person, not in the league of Marie Kondo the decluttering guru who recommends disposing of anything that doesn't spark joy in your life but I am neat enough.  MrFF is different, he likes his life to be visible around him witness the many piles of papers on his desk, he finds it hard to let go of things that might just come in useful one day.  

We have lived in our little penthouse now for 8 years, we downsized quite drastically and storage is always an issue for us.  For example, until we sold my yellow car we often kept our vegetables, wine and oil in it.    

Call me unreasonable I think if you haven't used something for 8 years you don't really need it, MrFF disagrees.  He has in his wardrobe a Corby trouser press from his long gone days of business suits, its never been connected to the power supply in Yorkshire.  

However, lets be fair here, he has recently made some effort.  We have since we moved here stored behind the back of a sofa a surplus 32" tv encased in bubble wrap.  MrFF wanted it on the wall of our spare bedroom, I can think of nothing worse.  We have a large tv in our lounge and small tv in our bedroom which is bad enough, the bedroom is for sleeping preceeded by some reading not watching tv.  Last week he finally admitted defeat and put the tv on ebay, it sold immediately which is fine but I have spent the last 8 years hating the bloomin thing, as often the case the more I complain the less happens.   Someone could have had the benefit of said tv for many years, it was bought as a Christmas present, likewise all the other stuff, it seems quite mean spirited to me.

Another example.  MrFF brought when we moved at least 8 suits, two black tie.  I don't think he has worn a suit since he retired, apart for a funeral once, in fact some of them have never been worn at all.  We had friends over a while back, they were going to a smart wedding and the wife said she was dreading dragging her husband round the shops to find him something to wear.  MrFF quickly produced an array of options, one suit fit almost perfectly, they had it altered for less than £50 and sent us photos of them looking smart at the wedding. They also took one of the dinner jackets in case they are ever invited to an appropriately formal function though I imagine that was us cluttering their house instead of ours.

And finally MrFF brought back from Italy various bits of kit that over the years have enable us to watch UK tv, don't ask me what they are I can barely operate the tv in Italy.  They sold too.  

Progress indeed, of course the discussion goes on.  Looking for ink for my fountain pen I recently came across about 50 blank CDs, who uses them nowadays.  MrFF wasn't up for discussion about then so I felt it inappropriate to remind him of the 50,000 staples he still has in stock, though I did use one this week, slow and steady wins the race but at our age we may not have that much race left in us. 



4 comments:

  1. I have had similar problems in the past but of course now I am on my own I can make decisions. My farmer had his funeral overcoat (most important to all Yorkshire farmers.) It went to the Charity shop and was snapped up the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your pain and that’s from somebody who still has most of her work suits - unworn now for 8 years. Unfortunately the longer I hold onto something there’s a tendency just not to notice it. Mind I recently drew the line to stop my husband storing sails from our boat behind the living room sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are both super tidy here, I am 'an everything in it's place' person, the only room which is cluttered is our joint office, my side is full of plants, but we keep everything use here close at hand. I'm like you, get rid of it if you are not using it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am guilty of keeping 'stuff' in case it comes in useful one day! But my home is tidy and pretty well organised!

    ReplyDelete