Tuesday 12 March 2024

That didn’t work

was quite surprised when I finished my cotton top how much I like it which made me determined to solve the colour variation problem.  I soaked the finished garment in a mixture of mild soap and eco bleach, this stuff which I like a lot particularly as it comes with its own tiny cardboard scoop.



It took a while to dry in the utility room and I was quite hopeful until I brought it out to the lounge windows and realised it was much the same, front and back different shades and the top of the back the same shade as the front.


This leaves me with several solutions

Always wear the top with a cardigan to conceal the back

Wear it only in shade where the difference is less obvious,  avoiding direct sunlight in Italy would be tricky

Wear it a lot in the sun hoping that the darker part will fade 

Dye it, I like it white as it shows up the knobbly texture so well 

Knit another one, I do have enough yarn left over but this one has taken me more than two years, time is against me and I didn’t much enjoy the process first time 

Just bluff it, pretend it’s meant to be like that and cast on another pair of socks

What would you do?



11 comments:

  1. Just wear it, and if anyone (???) says anything, say I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dye, sucker, Dye. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wear it! It's a bit like decorating. People say "what lovely wallpaper" and don't notice that some of the joins are a bit off or that you might have missed a bit with the emulsion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do what computer programmers do when asked to fix something in their code and say “it’s a feature, not a bug (error)”. Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wear it like that and now cast on another pair of socks :) M from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wear it! How many people will notice?
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you could just wear it. The texture will mask the slight variation and there are always shadows with clothing. Texture is lovely.
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon in Surrey(Canada)15 March 2024 at 05:46

    I'd dye it a screaming fuchsia . . . . . and cast on a pair of socks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you sun bleach it while you’re in Italy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, forgot to leave my name in the above comment.

    ReplyDelete