Thursday 26 January 2023

New year knits

You might imagine that during these long dull January days I’ve spent a lot of time knitting, or maybe you know me better.  I’ve been retired 12 years now and I’m still not convinced its acceptable to spend daylight hours knitting or reading.  Additionally the local craft shop that sold some of my knitting with a charity donation has closed down so that pressure is off, MrFF says he has enough socks and there is a limit to what I can palm off on friends and family.    Before Christmas I did pass my bag of finished projects round our building asking for donations to be made direct to management towards funds for the defibrillator they intend installing here.  I raised about £70 and received some nice comments from my clientele, if not from management who are now busy arguing about where this life saving equipment should be located. Also a friend took some items and made a donation to a cancer charity.  

So I’ve been knitting from my stash, a little cotton jumper for my newest and as yet unmet grand niece Elodie.  It’s actually a very pale pink not this miserable grey it appears, blame the January light.



My current WIP is a simple lacy scarf using Debbie Bliss Party Angel which is gorgeous mohair and silk with a tiny amount of sparkle, it came from a bag of lovely yarns I was given.   The pattern is Little Leaf by Silvia Harding, a four row easy to remember repeat.



I also continue struggling with the Estuary scarf I cast on in Italy, and again many times since.  

Some days I complete less than 20 rows before losing my way, I have managed more than 100 rows then spotted an unrecoverable mistake way back and had to start again.  I now check quite regularly and am up to row 90 again. I have knit this pattern successfully several times and it’s lovely but I am beginning to wonder if my days of more challenging projects are over. I might just check MrFF’s sock drawer because right now another pair of socks would be the easiest if not a major stock reducing option that would raise my self esteem. 

Post post post - the little jumper is Queen of Hearts by Kim Hargreaves, it’s from the book Tadpoles and Tiddlers which I’ve used since 1995 for lots for lovely kiddy knits.

6 comments:

  1. Love the little baby jumper, may ask what pattern you used, Have a new Great Grand child due at the beginning of March and would love to knit this for him/her. Good luck with the scarf, I know the feeling well and like you check more frequently now. Love the colour, please post a photo of it when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you, if I see a mistake I have to rip it out, and would happily re start a project just to see it right. I love knitting socks, but I have made so many pairs, everyone has too many. Love your knitting, very pretty and lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the lacey scarf, pink is my favourite colour and that wool looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As with Kathy above - I'd love to know the pattern you used for the delightful baby jumper -obviously for delightful babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just used some cotton to knit a baby blanket. It was wonderful to use until I made a mistake or inadvertently put my needle through the yarn itself when it appeared to delight in showing me all 6 strands from which it was woven, but I'm pleased with the finished product. Your jumper looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry comment above was from me, clicked the wrong button and gave myself the new name of Anonymous

    ReplyDelete