Wednesday 15 January 2014

So far so good

We are through the first two weeks of January and though we are bound to get bad weather at some stage this winter, to date everything has been very manageable with plenty of bright days, just the lightest sprinkling of snow and no really hard frosts.  I might go so far as to say it has been enjoyable though I do appreciate many people in the UK have suffered with storms and flooding, I sympathise with this greatly.
The hellebores have made an appearance, there is some colour in the garden
and plenty of things happening.  Bulbs are well through and its a delight to uncover new growth among all the fallen leaves. 
In the conservatory I have a few bulbs flowering and despite much neglect whilst I was in Italy my orchids are bursting into bloom again.
Slightly worrying for me to feel so upbeat at this time of year and as I said it could all go pear shaped but for now I am enjoying the lengthening hours of daylight and these early signs of spring.  

3 comments:

  1. Goodness, I think your spring is more advanced than ours. I hope that we have seen the back of winter now, I certainly do NOT want to see any white stuff! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful day here today, though cold this morning. REally hoping that we get through winter without any snow this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Hellebores, my favourite Winter flower. Glad to hear things are good so far, wish I could say the same (another drive to work this morning on black ice)!! Stay home and knit, that's what I've been doing, on the days I don't have to go to work that is! Your orchids are stunning, mine steadfastly refuse to flower again, maybe it's the cold?

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete